This was an exciting lift refurbishment project located in Jersey, St Lawrence, at one of the main attractions on the island.
The Jersey War Tunnels, opened to the public in 1946 and tells the story of life in occupied Jersey.
The museum is a partially completed underground hospital, built by German occupying forces during WWII. After the Channel Islands were liberated in 1945, the complex was converted into a museum.
Pickerings Lifts renovated the passenger lift that runs between the gift shop and the café, in order to ensure access for disabled and mobility-impaired visitors.
The existing lift controller, hydraulic power pack, car door entrance and operator were all replaced with new components. The parts replaced were ‘open protocol’, which means that the Jersey War Tunnels will not be tied into sole supply, ensuring full flexibility for any future lift maintenance.
The renovation took three weeks from start to finish, ready in time for the for the museum to open to the public in peak season.
Company Secretary for the Jersey War Tunnels